Monday, June 16, 2008

The Moon


As I lay here on my bed, in this dark room, knocking at the gates of the dream world which constantly fails to be answered today, the moonbeams, silently creep through the window and lay down softly beside me. My memory jogs back. It takes me back to those days when my grandmother used to tell me the story of, the Moon.


Once upon a time, she used to say, the Moon was very close to the Earth. So close that if I stood on my tiptoe and stretched high towards the sky, I could feel its ripply face with my fingertips. During the night the Moon would hug the Earth and give warmth and glow to its people. It would smile serenely at them as they all left, for the dreamworld.


One day an old woman was sweeping her backyard when the Moon began to chuckle. The old lady brimmed with motherly love as she stood and stared at the chubby naughty face, all gleeful.

At last she asked,"What makes you so happy, my dear?". The Moon said,"why grandma, you are so ugly and bent".


All love began to drain out of the old lady. She angrily shook her broom towards the moon and said,"So proud of that pretty face, are you? Go away, I don't want to see it ever again. Go away".


As she turned and went Inside, the Moon felt sorry. It thought. "I shouldn't have laughed at her, but why did she ask me to go away.. do they not love me anymore? Fine, If that is what they want... I will go away and grant them this wish."

The Moon began to prepare for its departure but it realized it couldnot leave the Earth like this. After all, The Earth needed the Moon and the moon Loved the Earth a lot.


The Moon left never to return. However it could not go very far. Its love for the Earth held it. So my dear girl, grandma would say we see the Moon high up in the sky.


Grandma is now miles away and this story she told me, was years back but I realise its significance today. Life is strange. It is strange, how one small mistake can change it so drastically. It is strange, how sometimes its too late to say, 'I am sorry'... No matter how truly I am. Sometimes it gets all blank with simply the memories to fill it, like the moonbeams which now fill my dark room. Which now creep through the window and play hide and seek with the curtains.


Today as I look at the moon through the window, a hope leaps from the heart. May be someday, it will forgive and return to embrace the Earth in its soft bright arms. But Till then, I have got this long, dark, cold night to fight.


As I stare at the shiny reflection of the Moon on my mirror, I hold it to my heart. Life is indeed a fairytale..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reading made me nostalgic- as I pass through my memories, good and painful ones I paused and thought "how true." How many times I wanted to say " Sorry" and my voice choked - I felt defeated because I hurt someone - my dear one. I look at the moon and tears roll down within -- but I am not alone - so many souls on this earth to give me company -- dear mum, you are passionate story teller - I enjoyed it , I truely enjoyed it.

Aditya said...

how simple stories seem to be, yet they succeed in strumming the deepst chords in our hearts. These stories will live on, forever, with each generation of grandmothers growing older, putting their young grandchildren to sleep. the innocent moon will always continue to amaze us all. and whether or not it comes closer to embrace us once again, our grandmothers' strories certainly will take us a little closer to our "moons" with every passing night.
You are indeed a brilliant story teller!

Anonymous said...

tis very beautiful!!i dont have enough words to describe it...was litrally on d verge o tears by d time i finished reading it!i have1 request-do write more of this stuff!dun get 2 read such soultouching stories deze days!god bless you..

jeens........... said...

hmmmm....that was something girl..i just loved it...reminds me of the stupid idiotic fights and its worthlessness....well u r a hell of a writer...it reminded me of the days when i used to tell my mom"Mummy Mummy chand chahiye...."

Adrian said...

Memories from The Little Prince come back...